Headstone Manor, Harrow is a moated manor house, dating back to the 1300s, with various additions and alterations over the centuries. For about 25 years, the oldest part of the building had been under scaffold, until a restoration programme was completed in 2006.
Standing on land held by the Archbishop of Canterbury since 825AD, it was surrended to Henry VIII in 1546, who sold it to one of his court favourites. Our event focused on the Yeoman Farmer family renting the farm at this time and their worries and expectations over the change of ownership.
The event was staged as a May Day fair with many other events and activities going on in the surrounding grounds, whilst our event was housed in the newly restored house. The building was completely unfurnished and we used furniture and other artefacts to fill the rooms and bring life back into the house.